Nick Parson's Co-op Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Nick Parson's Co-op Forum

The purposes of this forum are to gather thoughts and ideas regarding the Cooperative and to encourage dialogue about the present and future of Mad River Glen. THIS FORUM IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE MAD RIVER GLEN COOPERATIVE.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Biography for the Election for the Board of Trustees.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nick Parson
Admin

My Biography for the Election for the Board of Trustees. Empty
PostSubject: My Biography for the Election for the Board of Trustees.   My Biography for the Election for the Board of Trustees. EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Out-of-State Candidate for Mad River Glen Cooperative Board of Trustees 2009

Nick Parson
122 Tall Oaks Drive
South Weymouth, MA., 02190
Parson.Nicholas@gmail.com
207-939-9886

Who I am:
My name is Nick Parson, and I am asking for your support in allowing me to serve you, the shareholder, as a member of the Board of Trustees as an out-of-state member.
To my knowledge, I am the first third-generation shareholder to ever run for a position within the Cooperative, as well as the youngest.

My Education:
BA, Political Science; BA, African American, African Diaspora Studies, Wheaton College, 2008.

My History as a Mad River Skier:
I have skied at Mad River Glen all my life, and although I am running out-of-state, Mad River Glen is my home that I aim to preserve, protect, and nurture.
I am fortunate to have a unique perspective of Mad River Glen that I can truly call my own. My Grandfather, Hector Griswold, was a homeowner alongside the practice slope, as well as a Mad River Glen pioneer in the 1940’s. His love of this place has been instilled in me, and I see myself not only as a member of a cooperative, but as a steward of the past, present, and future of our unique niche within the sport of skiing.

I am not only a member of the greater Mad River Glen community, but many other communities within the overall spectrum as well. I have been a member of the Ski Patrol since I was allowed to join at 18 years old, and grew up as the child of a ski patroller. I was a member of the Race Team when it first got its start, and many of my coaches are still in the program. I am also a member of the Amateur Ski Club, where I have made many friends as well, many of which are shareholders.

My History in the Ski Industry:
As a ski patroller, ski shop employee, and shareholder, I spend most of my days around skiers on the inside as well as on the outside of our community.
I am currently employed by Country Ski and Sport in Quincy, MA. My entire day is spent meeting, serving, and conversing with skiers of all ages, skill levels, and economic backgrounds. This experience has not only highlighted just how different Mad River Glen is, but also how we are viewed from the outside. Most Sugarbush skiers that I meet have never come to Mad River Glen, and many have misguided notions of who we are. Meeting these skiers gives me a unique perspective on our niche within the ski industry. I have been able to convince a number of skiers to venture to Mad River Glen, some of whom have come back to me with very positive reactions. My personal interaction with skiers of all backgrounds is a unique asset that I have, and will be able to utilize as a member of the Board of Trustees.

My Philosophies on The Co-op:
I believe that Mad River Glen is our passion, our home, and our sacred responsibility.
It is no secret that there have been major dissentions throughout the brief history of the Cooperative in regards to what the best course of action is for the future of this mountain. A vast majority of the shareholders, such as myself, support a ban on snowboarding. Some shareholders, however, do not. A majority of the shareholders, again including myself, supported the reconstruction of the single chair. However, this was also not a unanimous decision. I firmly believe in our Mission Statement, but also see it as the sum of all our parts. If a shareholder disagrees with any part of how we define ourselves, it is their right to voice that opinion, and the responsibility of the Board of Trustees to at least listen.

I trust the desire of the shareholders to preserve Mad River Glen’s unique heritage and culture for the future through responsible decision making in both the financial and developmental sectors. I believe it is the duty of the Board of Trustees to enact this greater desire and provide leadership in attaining the goals of the shareholders.

I respect people’s varying opinions on what Mad River Glen is, and should be, and I enjoy engaging others in dialogue regarding these issues. I also believe that for the most part, the Strategic Plan should be our benchmark for what we are and where we want to go. Within the parameters of that benchmark however, there must be room for progressive change in order to maintain financial viability. Without any room for innovation within the guidelines of the Strategic Plan, our current paradigm runs the risk of becoming antiquated and detrimental to the preservation of Mad River Glen.

I believe that we are not only stewards of our Cooperative, but also of the mountain on which we make our turns. I fully support the Naturalist Program and the Forest Management Program. I believe that our unique relationship with Stark Mountain’s ecosystem is our greatest asset, and it is this that sets us apart from all of the rest.

What I Want to Accomplish:
I believe that there are two forms of leadership. There is leadership that comes from up high where others are expected to follow the will of the leader, and there is leadership in which the leader selflessly takes it upon him or her self to enact the desires of his constituents.

As a member of the Board of Trustees for your Cooperative, I will respect your personal and financial investment in Mad River Glen and will do my best to actualize the vision of preservation that the Cooperative will always embrace. I also expect to be held accountable, along with the rest of the Board of Trustees, for the decisions made in that effort.

I want to bring my own perspective to the table, and demonstrate that creative thinking and innovation is not only possible within the realm of preservation, but imperative. I aim to utilize my experience in the ski industry as a ski shop employee, ski patroller, and young skier in furthering the mission of the Mad River Glen Cooperative.

As a student of politics, I absolutely believe in the democratic method. That being said, access of information to the shareholders on the affairs of the Cooperative is imperative. I would strive to make public information that is available to the shareholders accessible and readily available. It is only in this way that the shareholders will be able to formulate ideas of their own and opinions on the ideas of others that will help us enact our Strategic Plan.

With your vote, I will be able to take your ideas to the floor on the Board of Trustees, and make the actions of the Board of Trustees known to you. I will seek to foster a cooperative and proactive environment on the Board of Trustees, and I will be able to utilize my experiences in the ski industry to formulate ideas on how we can remain competitive and viable without sacrificing our core values. I will respect that you have entrusted me with the value of your share, and with the future of Mad River Glen. Thank you for your vote, and I hope to hear your voices soon.
Back to top Go down
https://madriverglencoop.forumotion.com

My Biography for the Election for the Board of Trustees.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nick Parson's Co-op Forum :: Miscellaneous-
Jump to: